Professionals and Companies are shocked to discover the level of risk they are exposed to in serving aging clients. After all, who has time to keep up with the ever changing legal issues when you’re trying to manage a business?
Of course, it’s always what you don’t know that can hurt you. In this case, with the ranks of boomers and seniors swelling so rapidly that they now represent the largest and fastest growing demographic in the entire country, liability is growing at breakneck speed whether you’ve been paying attention to these issues or not.
Costly legal mistakes are often made from a place of ‘ignorance and good intentions.’
For instance, here are some examples of how professionals are placing themselves and their companies at legal risk:
- You have concerns about a client’s apparent change in mental capacity – who can you tell or consult with…. anyone? You still have concerns and you complete a transaction – are you or your company liable?
- A family member waves a ‘power of attorney’ under your nose, and the instructions are not in the client’s best interests – what do you do?
- Do you know how provincial privacy legislation and the federal PIPEDA are applied in your industry and in your province?
- What happens if you make a recommendation for ‘Joint Ownership’ with other family members and the elderly client experiences financial abuse?
- Do you understand the lack of inter-jurisdictional portability of POA’s and other contractual agreements and how this impacts your client when they move or travel?
- What about Granny cams, care-giving leave and legal issues, family contracts, private care agreements, etc?
These are just a few of the examples of how professionals from a variety of industries can walk into potential ‘career land mines’ without even knowing it.
That is why Age-Friendly Business® collaborated with the Canadian Centre for Elder Law to offer this relevant and dynamic 12 part series covering everything from mental capacity to privacy legislation to advance directives to family loans, elder abuse, and more………………………….
Can you afford not to learn more?
Because this information is so important to businesses and professionals serving the 50+ market, we would like to offer you free access to our first webinar: When your Clients Mental Capacity is in Doubt… How can I help and What do I need to know?
View this first seminar risk free >